Scratchings-and-Sniffings

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Scratchings-and-Sniffings


Miles Goes to the Kennel

Posted: 22 May 2010 08:10 AM PDT

New-puppy-Miles Our daughter Claire graduates from law school today and we are up in Albuquerque for all the festivities. (this is Claire with Miles when he was a puppy)

Last night, Claire won the faculty award from The National Association of Women's Lawyers. She also received a student award for her outstanding work directing the Law School's rendition of The Vagina Monologues.

We are quite proud of her for all the work she's put in over the last three years. When she gets a job the real celebrating will begin, at least for me.

Poor Miles was unable to attend the award ceremony. No dogs allowed. We were forced to leave him at Mis Amigos, the excellent boarding facility in our little town. Chris began worrying about Miles around three days before we left him in their good care.
 
It took her twice as long to get Miles all packed up as it took for her to gather her own things for the trip. "Do you think we should take his bed? What about his food? How much should we tell them to feed him? You know he won't be getting his normal three mile hike every day. Do you think he needs more toys than this? Where are his vaccination records?" And on and on, right up until we drove into the driveway.
 
Hey-mom-where-ya-going
We hadn't been inside for more than fifteen seconds until Chris had pulled a couple of additional toys off the shelf. "He'll love this one. Look, we can put a little cookie inside."
 
Then came the check in process. There was a giant contract form to read through. I looked up plaintively at owner Gail Skee. "Gail, what are the salient features here, my glasses are in the car."
 
She quickly pointed to the veterinary treatment options. We initialed the "do whatever it takes" box, of course. "Next, just choose the additional features you want Miles to experience during his stay," Gail said, as she pointed to the menu.
 
"Move over Larry, I'll handle this," said my lovely wife.
 
Chris chose everything except "Read him Poems by Edna St Vincent Millay before bed time." I left the room just before they calculated the tab. Couldn't take it. I was thinking that we could have put him up in a suite in the best hotel in town for half the price.
 
At least Chris won't be worrying about him, I thought as I got into the car. I was dreaming of course.
 
"Drive slowly, I want to see if he's outside playing with the other dogs," she said. "What if there's a bully dog in the group?" she said, almost before we pulled out of the driveway. We stopped for gas about two miles down the road and when I got back in the car Chris asked if we could go back and see how he was getting along.
Miles-in-training
I finally put my foot down, sort of. "Honey, can't you wait an hour and give him some time to settle in?" I asked. "I'm sure Gail is taking good care of him and you can call her when we get over the pass just to check in," I offered as a compromise. She reluctantly agreed.
 
While driving over the pass I reflected on my daughter Claire and her life up to this point. Law school was a big accomplishment and I thought back to all the steps along the way. Undergraduate degree in History and Women's Studies. A great high school career filled with sports, acting and academic success. I went back as far as pre school. Back to that first day when we dropped her off for the first time.
 
Except for a few tears it was a lot like leaving Miles at the Doggie Day Care. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment