Scratchings-and-Sniffings

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Scratchings-and-Sniffings


Scratchings & Sniffings Out Loud with Dr. Grace: The Myth of Grocery Store Pet Food

Posted: 29 Jul 2009 04:54 PM PDT

Part 2 of our myths series. You can listen to Part 1 here.

In this session, we talk about pet food sold in grocery stores, and how pet food companies, like Purina, put a lot of research, care, and study into creating food that's healthy and tasty - for dogs and cats. 

Now, I have no problem with home-made dog and cat food, if you've done your homework and you know the nutritional needs of your pet. But, I do have a problem with pet parents who think I love my pet less because I purchase my pet food in the grocery store.

Dr. Grace and Dr. Larry also touch upon the myth that vet's get "paid" to offer special diets. Vets offer special diets when they are necessary, and for no other reason. (I can attest to this, having been a vet tech in years past...our vets wanted our pets to be healthy and sometimes that required a special diet, which one or another pet food company offered - and the vet recommended)

Listen to our discussion...and leave us a comment on what you think of this issue:


0 comments:

Post a Comment